inReach SE from DeLorme. The next-generation of the groundbreaking, award-winning satellite communicator that both sends and receives text messages — all from one device in the palm of your hand. Give your family and friends the peace of mind knowing you can be tracked, reached and rescued anywhere in the world. And with access to our unlimited, downloadable topographic maps, you can pair inReach SE with your smartphone or tablet and always know exactly where you are.
The satellite communicator that allows you to type, send and receive, track and SOS all from the palm of your hand.
With inReach SE, you can both send and receive text messages at the ends of the earth and everywhere in between with the handy color screen and virtual keyboard.
When you're off the grid and out of cell phone range, you can quickly and easily share your journey with family and friends, let them ping and message you, and always receive a delivery confirmation that your message was sent -- all thanks to the Iridium satellite network with 100% global coverage.
In the event of an emergency, you can trigger an SOS, receive delivery confirmation, and then have an two-way text conversation with the search and rescue monitoring center until help arrives.
Affordable Satellite Communication for Remote Worker Safety
inReach is a two-way satellite communicator that enables lone worker tracking, plus check-in and SOS messaging with delivery confirmation, anywhere in the world. The personal GPS tracking is at intervals from 2 min. to 4 hours, with locations displayed on both topographic maps and aerial imagery.
Flexible Solutions for Checkin Messages and SOS
inReach users can send three different pre-loaded check-in messages and trigger an SOS by pushbutton. When inReach is paired with compatible devices, users can also have unlimited access to downloadable topographic maps and NOAA charts. An SOS can go to the GEOS international emergency center or a corporate response team.
- Trigger an SOS and communicate back and forth with our 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center.
- Adjustable tracking intervals from 10 minute to 4 hours allow you to track your trip and share your location, including GPS coordinates, elevation, and speed.
- Send and receive 160 character text messages with GPS coordinates to cell numbers or email addresses worldwide and post updates to social media all from one device.
- Pair it with your mobile device to access downloadable topographic maps and NOAA charts and make communication with family and friends even easier.
- Provides 100% global coverage through the Iridium satellite network.
inReach SE: How It Works
inReach SE (Screen Edition) is the satellite communicator from DeLorme that puts amazing functionality in the palm of your hand without having to pair the device:
- Send and receive free-form, 160-character text messages outside of cell phone range.
- Trigger an SOS and interact back and forth with GEOS, our 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center.
- Turn on tracking to share and view GPS coordinates.
- Color screen and virtual keyboard with predictive text.
- Intuitive LED indicator for satellite availability.
- Audible message notifications.
- Long-lasting internal rechargeable lithium battery for ultimate convenience and portability. 100 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode with a clear view to the sky.
- Designed for maximum durability in harsh environments (waterproof, dustproof, and impact-resistant).
- Post to social media.
- Built on award-winning technology pioneered with our first inReach device.
Read What Other's Say (Yachting World, May 2013 by Belinda Bird)
This piece of kit has an impressive array of functions packed into a small handheld device. It is a tracker, it can send and receive text messages via the Iridium network, it navigates and it can link directly to social media.
The tracking works well, but the unit must be outside with a clear view of the sky; no problem because it is guaranteed to be waterproof for one minute of submersion (I didn’t test that part). The tracking is accurate to around 50m and can be accessed via a website that allows selected contacts to look at a map or satellite view.
Entering email addresses into the tracker is laborious using the virtual keyboard; however, you can import contacts from either Apple or Android devices using Bluetooth, which makes things less painful. It can also sync your position directly to a Facebook account.
Sending text messages is again fiddly, but there are six pre-set messages that can be quickly fired off to your uploaded contacts such as ‘I am checking in, everything is ok’.
The inReach Explorer is not aimed only at the sailing market, so when the advertising blurb cheerfully suggests ‘log waypoints and find your way back’ I do slightly cringe at the thought of sailors charging across the Atlantic armed with nothing but a tracker. The unit does allow you to download maps and charts to the device, though, so could be a great back-up safety feature for the liferaft.
As with most trackers on the market, there is an SOS function on the Explorer. As the Iridium network is not currently part of the GMDSS network, I would not advise considering this as a primary means of sending a distress message when you are at sea.
When I tested the unit the battery lasted around five days, updating position every ten minutes.
There is almost too much on offer in this little box. Concentrate on what the average offshore sailor really wants, however, which is a means to share your position and communicate two-way cheaply with friends and family ashore, then the inReach Explorer offers exactly that."